Carnitas, is a dish of Mexican cuisine that originated in the state of Michoacán. Carnitas are tender and juicy on the inside, while crisp and golden on the edges. They are traditionally made with pork butt because of the higher fat content, which helps the meat stay super tender and juicy while it’s cooking. This simple recipe will be a hit on your next taco night!
Ingredients for Tacos
- 16 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Cup of Chopped Onion
- 1 Cup of Chopped Cilantro
- 3 lbs of Pork Butt
- 1 Head of Garlic Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of Salt (you may use less)
- 1 Tablespoon of Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon of Black Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Cup Of Orange Juice
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/4 Cup of Lemon Juice (from fresh lemons)
- Season your pork butt with salt and pepper and set a side.
- In a large bowl mix your cumin, oregano, salt, pepper, orange juice, lemon juice, chopped garlic, and whisk together. Proceed to adding the pork butt and mix well together.
- Transfer to a 6 quart dutch oven, add the two bay leaves and cook on low heat for 2½ to 3 hours.
- Remove the pork from the dutch oven and set aside for a few minutes. (do not discard the liquid)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over high heat. Proceed to adding the pork in two or three batches and sear until it begins to crisp. Once the edges are nice and golden, remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes for it to cool down. Proceed to shredding it and transfer the meat back to the dutch oven so it remains warm. Repeat the process until all your meat is done.
- Warm up your tortillas and proceed to assemble your tacos. Place the carnitas on the tortilla, garnish with fresh onion, cilantro, and a spoonful of your favorite salsa.
One thought on “Tacos de Carnitas”
This is a delicious and simple carnitas recipe…………………………..now if I only had the bean recipe to accompany this……………:)